Are you looking for a stroller so your small pup can travel in luxury? In this article, Richard Cross lists five of the best dog strollers for small dogs. Each provides a comfortable and secure place for your dog to travel...while also being great value for money. Let's get started!
Many people - even dog fanatics - consider a dog stroller to be a step too far. It's one thing to accept dog clothing, sofas or even memory foam beds...but pushing your pup in a stroller can seem a little over the top.
I've got to admit that I felt a similar way when I first saw a dog stroller!
I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong though. There are actually a number of reasons why strollers for dogs aren't a terrible idea - so I've changed my mind. Here are some reasons why your small dog may benefit from a stroller:
- Transport Your Dog Without the Strain of a Carrier. Dog carriers or backpacks are useful for transporting your dog, but require you to carry him. This can get tiring - even if your dog is relatively small and light. A stroller relieves strain whilst still providing an enclosed place for your dog.
- Simplify Vet Visits. Walking to your vet can become a lot easier with a stroller. It also keeps your dog away from the floor, which some owners are worried could carry infections from other animals.
- Exercise With Your Dog. Many dogs - especially small breeds - can't keep up with humans when jogging for long distances. They tire quicker and there's even a danger of heatstroke. For this reason, some people like to run with small dog strollers, so they can give their pup a ride when he gets tired. For fitter dogs a jogging harness is the better option though.
- Help Older Dogs. Older dogs may get tired even on short walks. A stroller can give them a ride when they run out of steam. Dogs with injuries or that are recovering from surgery may enjoy a stroller for the same reason.
- Protect Your Dog's Paws. Hot weather can turn sidewalks into an uncomfortable place for dogs to walk, while salted roads in the winter can potentially damage even tough paw pads. Having a stroller can be a safe alternative during these conditions.
- Exercise Your Larger Dog Without Leaving Your Small Dog Behind. If you have a big and small dog, the larger breed may need more exercise. When your small dog has had enough, you can put him in the stroller while the bigger dog keeps running.
- Comfortable Travel. Some owners love to spoil their pet - and there's nothing wrong with that! A stroller can be one of the most comfortable ways for your pup to travel
If you've decided a stroller could benefit your dog, the next step is to choose the right model. In this article, I've listed five of the best dog strollers for small dogs to help you make the right choice.
How to Choose a Small Dog Stroller
Before we get to the top-rated strollers, it's important to know what makes a great dog stroller. Here are some things to be aware of:
- Size. One of the most important factors when choosing a dog stroller is the size of your dog. While it's best to buy a "size up" if you're not sure, getting a stroller that's too big may make your dog feel insecure. Too small and your pet won't be comfortable.
- Weight. Strollers have a maximum weight limit, so it's important to check this before you buy. Just because your dog is under the limit doesn't mean the stroller is big enough though.
- Three or Four Wheels. Many strollers come in both three or four wheel options. I nearly always recommend choosing a four wheel design, as they are more stable. They are especially important for rugged terrain or if your dog likes to move around. Three wheel strollers are usually cheaper, however, so can be a good choice for quick trips. Some strollers designed for jogging also have three wheels, with the front wheel on a pivot for greater manoeuvrability.
- Purpose of the Stroller. If you're only going to use the stroller for short trips to the vet, a simple model will do the job. If you want to go jogging or walk for longer distances, however, you'll need one that's more durable and comfortable for your pet.
- Number of Dogs. If you have two small dogs, some strollers are designed to accommodate both. You'll need to make sure the stroller is big enough for both dogs to travel comfortably though.
- Extra Features. Strollers come with a range of features depending on what you want to use it for. These include a folding design, ability to convert into a bike trailer and cup holders.
- Safety. It's vital to make sure that your dog is safe in the stroller. Look for features such as an internal tether, to stop the dog escaping, and locking rear wheels. An easily retractable rain hood can also be useful for unpredictable weather.
- Ventilation. Dogs can quickly overheat if in an enclosed space. For this reason, look for a small pet stroller that has plenty of ventilation. A sun guard or umbrella is also essential during the warm months of the year.
- Durability. The type of terrain and how you want to use the stroller often determines how much you need to spend. While quality isn't always linked to price, the most durable strollers often cost more. It's worth paying extra if you want a stroller that's going to last.
5 Best Pet Strollers for Small Dogs
Now you know what to look for in a dog stroller for a small dog, here are five of the best options. You can also take a look at the table below for a quick overview.
|Image||Name||Buy It For...||Colors||Price Range||View Price|
|OxGord Pet Stroller||Walking, Park Walks & Vet Visits||Purple, Black, Blue, Pink, Red||$$||View Price|
|Pet Gear Happy Trails Plus||If you want greater comfort than the OxGord||Blue, Cobalt Blue, Pink||$$$||View Price|
|VIVO Four Wheel Pet Stroller||If you need plenty of on-board storage||Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, Pink||$$$||View Price|
|Pet Gear No-Zip Jogger Pet Stroller||Jogging or more rugged terrain||Green, Red, Blue||$$$$||View Price|
|Pet Gear Double Pet Stroller||Transporting two small dogs at the same time||Red, Blue||$$$$$||View Price|
1. OxGord Pet Stroller
One of my top recommendations for a small dog stroller is the OxGord Pet Stroller. It's a four-wheeled stroller (although a three wheel version is available) that's lightweight, comes with a range of useful features and a foldable design.
The first thing to note about the OxGord is that it's very simple to put together. I can't say the same for many dog strollers, so this is a welcome bonus!
It has a folding design, which is great for storage or taking on your travels. Once unfolded, it provides a sturdy and comfortable place for your dog. There is a cushioned mat included, along with ventilated windows and a rear curtain door.
There are also a number of useful features included with the OxGord. It has a seat belt leash to keep your dog secure, hooded top windows and rear brakes. There are also a couple of cup holders.
The OxGord may not be the best choice if you want to go jogging on rugged terrain, as the plastic wheels don't provide the same cushioning as air alternatives. It's still comfortable and stable, but a stroller with shock absorbers is a better choice for running.
Overall, the OxGord Pet Stroller is an excellent choice for a small dog - and it's available for a relatively cheap price. It also comes in several different colors, so there's almost certainly an option that suits your tastes.
Quick Summary: The OxGord is an excellent stroller that's available for a very reasonable price. For simple walking or trips to the vet, it's my #1 recommendation.
- Colors: Purple, Black, Blue, Pink, Red
- Options Available: 3 or 4 wheel versions
- Price Range: $$
- Stable four wheel design
- Good ventilation for your pet
- Foldable design
- Plastic wheels may not be suitable for rugged terrain
2. Pet Gear Happy Trails Plus
Another of the top-rated dog strollers for small dogs is the Pet Gear Happy Trails Plus. It's suitable for pets up to 30lbs, making it a great choice for all small breeds. The Pet Gear also has a foldable design and front shock absorbers.
Like the OxGord, the Happy Trails Plus is designed to provide a comfortable ride for your pet during everyday tasks or short walks. It has plastic wheels, so probably isn't suitable for rough terrain, but has a stable design. The front shock absorbers also help to improve its comfort.
It's a folding dog stroller, which is a useful feature for storage or to take travelling. Unlike poor-quality alternatives, it's easy to fold down. The Happy Trails Plus also comes with Pet Gear's "NO-ZIP" function, which means you use a latch to open the door instead of a zip.
The only downside is that it's more expensive than the OxGord. If you like the NO-ZIP design or extra comfort provided by the shock absorbers, then it's a great choice though.
Quick Summary: The Happy Trails Plus Dog Stroller is a great all-round option that also comes with shock absorbers. This makes it better suited for the occasional bumpy surface - although for off-road I recommend getting a model with air tires.
- Colors: Blue, Cobalt Blue, Pink
- Options Available: 4 wheel only
- Price Range: $$$
- Front shock absorbers for a smoother ride
- For dogs up to 30lbs
- Pet Gear's "NO-ZIP" technology
- Plastic wheels aren't as smooth as air
3. VIVO Four Wheel Pet Stroller
The VIVO Pet Stroller is another four-wheeled option that's great if you want a solid stroller without spending a fortune. It has ample window space, good ventilation and a sturdy design - plus it folds up when required.
Like the first two small pet strollers on this list, it's built with plastic wheels. This reduces shock absorption, so it's worth looking for an air-filled alternative if you're going to be using it on uneven terrain. Even so, the double front wheels provide a stable ride for your dog.
Surrounding the carriage are a mixture of windows and access points. These are opened with zippers for quick access. The mesh windows provide excellent ventilation to prevent your dog overheating, while the top window is great for monitoring how your pet is doing.
As you would expect, the VIVO has a collapsible design that allows you to fold it to almost-flat. There's also a back wheel lock and an under basket that provides plenty of storage for your dog's leash, treats or whatever else you need to bring with you.
Quick Summary: If you're looking for a relatively cheap stroller with plenty of on-board storage, the VIVO is a great choice. It's not the most feature-packed model, but is durable and stable.
- Colors: Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, Pink
- Options Available: 3 or 4 wheel versions
- Price Range: $$$
- Plenty of ventilation to avoid overheating
- Basket for additional storage
- Top section collapses for a larger opening
- Not the smoothest ride
4. Pet Gear No-Zip Jogger Dog Stroller
If you're planning on using a stroller for jogging, you need a model that's durable and provides a comfortable ride for your pup. For this reason, the Pet Gear Jogger is one of the best dog strollers for jogging with small dogs.
What makes it different from other options though? Firstly, the Pet Gear Jogger is made with Air Ride tires. These provide greater cushioning for your pet than the plastic ones found on cheaper strollers. The front wheel can either swivel or be fixed depending on whether you want more stability or manoeuvrability.
The Jogger is bigger than some of the other strollers on this list, as it can hold dogs of up to 70lbs. If you have a small dog, you may want to add extra padding so the interior isn't too roomy. It also doesn't come with a bolster pad - although a removable liner is included.
Like other Pet Gear strollers, the Jogger comes with the company's NO-ZIP technology. This allows you to quickly open the compartment without messing with a zip. Other features include an elevated paw rest, so your dog can get a better view, and a panoramic window. There's also a basket for storage and an internal tether.
A big drawback of the Pet Gear Jogger is the price. It's considerably more expensive than the first three models on this list, so it's not the right choice if you're on a tight budget. If you want your dog to be comfortable while jogging, however, then it's a great option.
Quick Summary: The Pet Gear Jogger is a great choice if you want to go jogging with your pet. The air-filled wheels provide a much smoother ride, while the front wheel can be locked for greater stability.
- Colors: Green, Red, Blue
- Options Available: 3 wheel only
- Price Range: $$$$
- Air-filled tires for greater comfort
- Comes with compact air pump
- Front wheel can either be fixed or swivel
- Drinks holder is relatively shallow
5. Pet Gear Double Pet Stroller
As you can probably tell by now, I'm a big fan of the Pet Gear range of strollers for small dogs. The Pet Gear Double Pet Stroller, as the name suggests, is designed with an extra-wide twin compartment to hold more than one pet. It's expensive, but a great choice if you want to transport your small dogs in comfort.
Let's start with the most important feature of the Pet Gear Double - the extra-wide carriage. It has a spacious design so your dogs won't feel cramped, along with two safety tethers so your dogs aren't stuck together. The stroller also has a maximum capacity of 90lbs, which should be more than enough for two small dogs.
Like the Jogger, the Double has air-filled tires and also comes with a pump. This provides a smoother ride than plastic wheels. You can also quickly lock the back wheels to prevent it rolling away.
The Pet Gear Double comes with the company's "NO-ZIP" design, so you don't need to fiddle with a zipper to get access to your dog. As a bonus, this model comes with a bolster pad for extra comfort, along with a waterproof exterior and panoramic viewing window.
If you're looking for a wide dog stroller for two small dogs - especially if you want to provide a smooth ride - then the Pet Gear Double is a great choice. It's expensive, but I think it's worth the money.
Quick Summary: The Pet Gear Double is one of the best dog strollers for two small dogs. The extra-wide compartment provides plenty of room and it also comes with two tethers. The biggest drawback is the price.
- Colors: Red, Blue
- Options Available: 4 wheel only
- Price Range: $$$$$
- Sturdy design
- Air tires provide a smoother ride
- Spacious for two small dogs
Dog strollers are much more than an expensive way for dog owners to treat their pets like children! They are great for jogging, transporting a dog that gets tired easily or just providing extra comfort for your canine companion.
My top recommendation for a dog stroller for small dogs is the OxGord Pet Stroller. It's a durable model that's available for a great price - plus it's easy to put together and simple to fold. If you need a smoother ride for jogging or tough terrain, the Pet Gear No-Zip Jogger is my favorite.
Do you need help choosing the best dog stroller for your small dog? Or do you own a stroller you think I should include on this list? Let me know!