Training your dog can be one of the most rewarding experiences you’ll have with your pet – but it isn’t always easy. This section is all about training your dog in a fun, positive and effective way.
Dog training should be one of your priorities when you get your new pup (old or young). Regardless of common wisdom, all dogs can be trained, although some will require more time and patience than others.
Training your dog is also part of being a responsible owner. Even if your dog only knows basic commands such as wait, sit and reliable recall, he’ll be safer and less likely to get into trouble. Many dogs love training too, so it’s a great way to provide mental stimulation.
At TheDogClinic.com, we firmly believe in positive training techniques. To us, it’s not about whether negative methods can be effective (although they are often slower and may even be counterproductive). Instead, we don’t see any reason not to use positive methods as they can clearly get the same results. Not only are negative methods cruel and cause stress, but they are often less effective and can damage your relationship with your dog.
Some of the topics we cover in the training section include:
- Positive Reinforcement Training (PRT). What it is, why it’s so effective and how to do it.
- Basic Commands. Every dog should know basic commands. We’ll show you the most effective ways to teach them.
- Tricks. Simple guides for teaching your dog impressive tricks – and bonding at the same time!
- Training Theory. We also cover the fascinating topic of dog training theory to help you understand your pup better.
- How to Teach Positive Interactions With Humans. Including our guide to safety when kids interact with dogs.
- And much more!
About the Dog Training Section
Dogs have an amazing capacity to learn tricks and commands. Not all dogs are going to recognise 300 words like the ones you see on TV, but all dogs can be taught. That means dogs of any age, breed or temperament. This section is all about how to train your dog, including tips, techniques and guides.
- Why Is My Older Dog Sleeping All Day?
- How to Train a Dog to Pee on Fake Grass
- 7 Puppy Biting Training Mistakes
- Puppy Potty Training Regression: Why It Happens & How To Fix
- How to Socialize a Puppy With Other Dogs, Humans, Sounds and Places
- How to Teach a Fearful Dog to Enjoy Wearing a Harness
- How to Stop Your Dog Barking at the Front Door
- How to Stop a Dog From Jumping and Scratching a Door (Using Positive Training Methods)
- 6 Tips for Training a Dog to Stop Pulling on a Harness
- 7 Dog Training Myths That Just Won’t Go Away